The Vulcan Community Health Centre is a one stop shop for medical services for residents of Vulcan and Vulcan County. It houses a hospital with a 24/7 Emergency Room, 23 bed combined Acute/LTC unit, the Medical Clinic, Home Care and Public Health. In addition, it offers a full array of inpatient and outpatient services:
- The Hospital is managed by the Site Manager with a Patient Care Coordinator directing the daily work force which includes:
- 2 RNs, 1 LPN, and 2 HCAs available on the day and evening shifts.
- 1 RN and 1 LPN on nights to cover the entire facility.
- A second RN is on call for emergencies and the ambulance crew will respond to help in the ER if necessary.
- We also employ unit clerks, registration staff and an administrative assistant
Vulcan Medical Clinic RN
- A Primary Care RN works out of the Medical Clinic, which is located in the Vulcan Community Health Centre, Monday to Friday
- The Primary Care RN works with complex care patients and those requiring Chronic disease management.
- The RN works directly with these patients to provide counselling, education and treatment and is the Referral Clerk.
- The Medical Clinic also employs an Office Manager, receptionist, and Medical Office Assistants.
Diagnostic Imaging Services
- Outpatient work is done from 0800-1700 Monday- Sunday but we have DI staff on site from 0800-2315 for ER and Acute patients and on call during the night..
- We have a portable x-ray machine and all patients can be X-rayed on the emergency stretchers if they can’t be moved to the x-ray department.
- Our Radiology Department provides 24 hour Holter ECG Monitors as well as 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.
- We employ x-ray technicians and CLXT's.
- This service provides a comprehensive range of routine and specialized lab testing and clinical consultation.
- The lab is fully equipped and our technicians are able to do many tests on site.
Lab services available include:
- blood and body fluid sample collection
- biochemistry and toxicology
- transfusion medicine
- coagulation studies
- Open for Out patients: 0830-1700 Monday-Friday
- We have lab staff on site for ER and Acute patients from 0700-2300 and on call from 2300-0700.
- We have staff on site on weekends from 0800-2300 and then on call.
- Our staff includes Lab Technicians and CLXT's.
Physical Therapy Services
- Our physiotherapist and a physio assistant work Monday-Friday 0830 to 1630.
- Our physio department is equipped with parallel bars, treadmill, stationary bike, stepper, wall pulleys, reciprocal pulleys, arm egonometer, free weights, and treatment mat.
- Wheelchair assessments can be done on uncomplicated clients and lower leg assessments are offered.
- The PT is an AADL authorizer
- We have OT services in the hospital 2 days/week and there is also a community based OT available 2 days/week.
- The OT offers cognitive assessments, swallowing assessments, home assessments and lower leg assessments.
- The OT also fits clients with home adaptive equipment.
REHABILITATION SERVICES ( Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy) now occupy an more spacious area on the main floor of the new addition.
- We have a recreation therapist in a 0.5 FTE and a recreation assistant in a 0.63 FTE.
- Their services and programs are focused on our long-term care population.
- A respiratory therapist comes in weekly for Pulmonary Function Tests.
- Outpatients are referred through your doctor.
- Referrals are available for inpatients as well.
- The Vulcan Community Health Centre has a pharmacist onsite 3 days a week as well as a pharmacy assistant onsite 3 hours per day. Among their other duties, the pharmacist provides clinical counselling to inpatients
- There is always a pharmacist on 24 hours call.
- Pharmacists in the two drug stores in the Town of Vulcan fill prescriptions Monday to Saturday 0900 to 1800.
- We have a site-specific hospital formulary which physicians can access from any of the RNs.
- We also have access to the Calgary Health Region formulary.
- There is also a Pharmacy in the Village of Arrowwood.
- Health Records is staffed Monday to Friday 0800 to 1630.
- We have a mental health clinician available most weekdays covering a variety of hours. The hospital receptionist has a schedule of her hours.
- She is a Registered Social Worker.
- This individual provides assessment and counselling for a wide variety of conditions and addictions, as well as financial assistance and counselling.
- As a registered social worker, this individual takes self referrals was well as referrals from other health care providers.
- Counselling services include smoking cessation, grief support, alcohol and drug addictions, financial planning, dealing with depression, coping skills, and advanced care planning.
- A psychiatrist service can be accessed
- Appointments are booked through the medical clinic.
- A consulting geriatrician is on site every other month or she is available for phone consults.
- Referrals are made by the family doctor and appointments are booked through the medical clinic.
- The dietitian is available in Vulcan 2 days/week.
- She consults with our Acute and LTC patients and see Outpatients on an appointment basis
- She will take doctor referrals and self referrals
- Appointments are booked through the Hospital Registration Desk 403-485-3333
Palliative Care Services
- Staff are trained in the latest Palliative Care treatments
- We have next day access to the Calgary Region's Palliative Care Team for consults
- We have a dedicated space within the hosptial for Palliative Care patients.
Home Care Services
- Based out the Community Health Centre, Home care provides nursing assessments, bath help, medication assistance, and dressing changes to those residing in the community
- We employ RN's, LPN's, and HCA's who are certified.
- We also employ a Community Social worker.
- We provide health education to school populations, immunization clinics to the general public, newborn and postpartum assessments, well baby clinics and a variety of public health education to the general public
- We employ Registered Nurses
Tuck Shoppe and Volunteers
- The VCHC Ladies Auxiliary provides a retail outlet service with clothes, personal care essentials and gifts.
- It's located in the foyer adjacent to the Nursing Station and is open Mon-Wed-Fri 1000-1500.
- It is run by Volunteers from the Auxiliary
- Vulcan Community Health Centre also utilizes volunteers in the Recreational Therapy program.
Other Disciplines employed and recruited by VCHC include:
- Maintenance Workers
- Dietary/ Food Services Workers
- Environmental Services Staff (Housekeeping).