- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Health Care Assistants
- We have 2 RNs, LPNs, and 2 HCAs available on the day and evening shifts.
- We have 1 RN and LPN on nights to cover the entire facility.
- A second RN is on call for emergencies and the ambulance crew will respond to help in the ER if necessary.
Medical Clinic RNs
- An RN works out of the Medical Clinic Monday to Friday
- This nurse checks INR results on outpatients and, working from an established set of protocols, adjusts the dosages as required.
- The medical clinic RN also does patient complex care plans.
- A Chronic Disease Management RN works out of the Medical Clinic as well as the Health Unit.
Diagnostic Imaging Services:
- The radiology department is staffed from 0845-1700 Monday to Friday and 0800 to 1600 on Saturday and Sunday. A radiologist is also on-call to provide radiological services after hours.
- We have a portable x-ray machine and all patients can be X-rayed on the emergency stretchers if they can’t be moved to the x-ray department.
- We do have capability to do IVP’s and we are on the PAC’s system which allows our films to be read remotely.
- Our Radiology Department provides 24 hour Holter ECG Monitors as well as 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.
- This service provides a comprehensive range of routine and specialized lab testing and clinical consultation.
- The lab is fully equipped and our technicians are able to do many tests on site.
Lab services available include:
- blood and body fluid sample collection
- biochemistry and toxicology
- transfusion medicine
- coagulation studies
The lab receives outpatients from 0830- 1530 Monday-Friday. Laboratory personnel are on call on the weekends and after hours.
Physical Therapy Services
- Our physiotherapist and a physio assistant work Monday-Friday 0830 to 1630.
- Our physio department is equipped with parallel bars, treadmill, stationary bike, stepper, wall pulleys, reciprocal pulleys, arm egonometer, free weights, and treatment mat.
- Wheelchair assessments can be done on uncomplicated clients and lower leg assessments are offered.
- The PT is an AADL authorizer.
- There is also a private physiotherapy clinic in the Town of Vulcan that is open on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- We have OT services 2 days/week.
- The OT offers cognitive assessments, swallowing assessments, home assessments and lower leg assessments.
- The OT also fits clients with home adaptive equipment.
- We have a recreation therapist in a 0.5 FTE and a recreation assistant in a 0.63 FTE.
- Their services and programs are focused on our long-term care population.
- A respiratory therapist comes in weekly for PFTs.
- Outpatients can book and appointment to see the respiratory therapist.
- Referrals are available for inpatients as well.
- The Vulcan Community Health Centre has a pharmacist onsite 2 days a week as well as a pharmacy assistant onsite 3 hours per day.
- There is always a pharmacist on 24 hours call.
- Pharmacists in the two drug stores in the Town of Vulcan fill prescriptions Monday to Saturday 0900 to 1800.
- We have a site-specific hospital formulary which physicians can access from any of the RNs.
- We also have access to the Calgary Health Region formulary.
- Health Records is staffed Monday to Friday 0800 to 1630.
- At this time, both our Mental Health Clinician and Social Work duties are handled by one individual who is onsite 4 days per week (Monday to Thursday 0830 to 1645).
- This individual provides assessment and counselling for a wide variety of conditions and addictions.
- As a registered social worker, this individual takes self referrals was well as referrals from other health care providers.
- Counselling services include smoking cessation, grief support, alcohol and drug addictions, financial planning, and advanced care planning.
- A psychiatrist is onsite on a monthly basis.
- Appointments are booked through the medical clinic.